Thursday, March 22, 2012

M90F (vs. P90X) - Day 32: billfold (part 2)

follow me on Twitter:  @matt_miller_c

email me at: matt.miller.c@gmail.com
find me on Facebook



Series:  "M90F: Matt's 90-day Fitness"

Day: 32

Activities: LOWER BODY - Walking.

Immediately my billfold felt weird; it felt huge in the back left pocket instead of the back right pocket where I'm used to having it.  It is huge.  I measured it: it's 2 inches thick.

It hurt to sit on.  I felt off balance just sitting; I was.  I adjusted my entire body to compensate.



During the day the left side of my back didn't seem to hurt as much.  Even more noticeable was that the traps (connecting my right shoulder to my neck) were strained and prickly.  Then all of a sudden at one point I had an extreme pain shoot through the right side of my middle back; the same part that's been hurting me on the left side.

Here's a picture of it next to a coffee mug for size reference:



I Googled it: billfolds can cause back problems.  It's so obvious now, I can't believe I've been doing this for 15 years!  I mean think about it: would you put a 2-inch lift on one of your shoes but not the other?  It's ridiculous, of course you wouldn't.  Yet that's what I've been doing to my back every time I sit down.  If I've been sitting an average of 5 hours per day, even just 5 days a week, for 15 years that's about 20,000 hours!  Anything you do for 20,000 hours has to have an impact.  I mean just think: I'm only exercising for 90 days at 1 hour per day, and I'm expecting extreme results.  20,000 hours and I'd be an Olympic athlete.



From now on I'm not going to carry it in my back pocket at all.  I'm going to carry my ID, major credit card, and that's it!  I'll need some sort of smaller clip to keep it in my front pocket.  Between this and stretching, I have high hopes that my left side will turn around, and just maybe I'll be able to run again at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment