Wednesday, February 29, 2012

M90F (vs. P90X) - Day 10: constant, variable




follow me on Twitter:  @matt_miller_c

email me at: matt.miller.c@gmail.com
find me on Facebook



Series:  "M90F: Matt's 90-day Fitness"

Day: 10

Activities: LOWER BODY - Lunges, Walking.



Short post tonight; dentist after work ate up the evening.  Still did my 1 hour though.

Bit of a philosophical/mathematical observation on my walk tonight.  When you commit to one particular activity (constant), and make that something that's nonnegotiable, everything else varies (variable) around your commitment.

Think about it maybe like your main constant commitment is a boat going through an otherwise stagnant (i.e. perhaps boring) pond.  The boat makes a new main groove through the water; it also happens to make smaller, variable waves around it.

The smaller waves are things you experience which you otherwise wouldn't; you get some variety, and 'variety is the spice of life.'  For example, I didn't let the late time prevent me from exercising tonight.  As a result, I went walking at a time of evening I rarely do.  As a result, I got to smell what people were cooking all around the neighborhood.  Even just seeing my neighborhood in the evening, when it's a bit colder/windier than in the afternoon, everything looks novel, almost a bit exotic.  It's sort of the feeling of walking in a rainstorm; a bit of excitement just because you don't always do it.

The other 'variables' are also forced to become less strict in order to accommodate your 'constant' because it's not possible to do everything in life every day.  This makes the other variables in your life even start to seem less important.  And so, if you make your 'constant' something you love, this helps to make your daily life more enjoyable.

Diet and exercise are, without intervention, naturally opposite ripples; if you exercise more to burn calories, you may very likely be tempted to eat more calories.  Or if you diet, your metabolism may slow down.  This is why diet and exercise should both be held somewhat constant if you want to achieve the maximum health effects in the minimum possible time.

That's it for tonight.  I'd be interested to hear any of your 'variables' you noticed from exercising regularly!  Comment below to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment