Wednesday, April 4, 2012

M90F (vs. P90X) - Day 45: surprise!

follow me on Twitter:  @matt_miller_c

email me at: matt.miller.c@gmail.com
find me on Facebook



Series:  "M90F: Matt's 90-day Fitness"

Day: 45

Activities: UPPER BODY - Hand-stand Push-ups, Ab-wheel, Push-ups, Walking.

I'm half way there!  Just finished my workout for today.  A few things on my mind: the benefit of a 90 day program, my diet, and a surprise.

I thought about how a 90-day program is perhaps a more natural alternative to bariatric surgery.  It's kind of the same idea: take care of the existing problem as quick as possible.  Then maintain the result through a change of habit.  The two must go together, but the ideas I used to have about a 90-day program being a bit silly, well, I think it's a good way to kick yourself into shape, as long as you back it up with a follow up program that you can maintain for the long-term.

It's becoming easier for me to be optimistic when I'm working out, now.  It used to seem like the extra weight had the upper hand.  For example, if you think about it in numbers, if I had 20 extra pounds on me at the beginning and worked hard during the week and lost 1 pound, that's only 5% of the weight.  But now, after I've lost some weight, say I'm only 10 pounds of excess weight.  If I do the same amount of work and lose 1 pound, that's 10% of the weight!  It's much easier mentally to feel like you're 'winning' vs. the extra weight when what you do takes a big chunk out of the entire picture.  The hardest part is getting to a point like this, and the more weight you start with, the harder that becomes.  So again, I think a 90-day program is a great way to help get to a mentally optimistic point.

This made me think about my diet.  It's hard to make huge long-term changes.  But if I could do a short burst of low calorie intake, high calorie output, I could lose a bunch of extra pounds all at once.  I think I'm going to do this as the end of the program gets closer, partly because I'm showing everybody my results (I want to look good, and beat my friend who's doing the P90X workout!), and partly because I think it's got the same benefit as this 90-day program.  So here's my thoughts: I'd take in 1,000 calories a day for a week, while also burning about 500 calories via workout each day.  On a 2,000 calorie per day equilibrium, that means I'd be net -1,500 calories per day.  In 7 days that's 10,500 calories.  In one pound there is 3,500 calories, so that's exactly 3 pounds.  3 pounds in just one week.  I think I'll do it 3 weeks before the end, have 1 normal week again, then the last week shred the last of it off.

Ok, my last surprise: I fit into 2 pairs of old shorts that haven't fit since college!  I didn't even know I still had them, but then when I was looking for shorts for the warm weather, I remembered I might still have them.  Sure enough, and they fit!  It's like that Progresso soup commercial where she tells the guy on the phone, he says "uh, yeah?" and she asks if there's a woman she can speak to.  Anyway, what a great surprise at the half-way point of my exercise program!

No comments:

Post a Comment